United Way of Erie County is providing a free online tax preparation tool to eligible tax filers called MyFreeTaxes. To access this free online tool, click here. If you have any questions about your state taxes while using this tool, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why use MyFreeTaxes?
- Easy-to-use , interview-based computer program
- Convenient—prepare taxes at home, at the office, or wherever an internet connection and computer are available
- Saves time and cost of purchasing commercial tax products
- Available in all 50 states
- A national support center has been established that gives users, who have questions about their federal tax returns, telephone access to an IRS certified volunteer tax preparer. Users with questions about their PA state returns can access a local certified tax preparer via email.
Who can use MyFreeTaxes?
- Individuals or families with incomes of $58,000 or less
- Great for tax filers with simple returns, college students, single filers, part-time workers, individuals with disabilities, regardless of age.
What software product does MyFreeTaxes use?
- The MyFreeTaxes software is an H&R Block product which is being used by United Ways across the country. However, United Way of Erie County does not endorse any particular commercial tax professional.
What happens if my income is above $58,000?
- The MyFreeTaxes software has a built-in charge function that requires payment for any tax return filed with an income over $57,000.
- United Way Erie FREE Taxes has no control over this charge and does not receive any compensation should a charge be incurred by a tax filer.
- To avoid this charge, the tax filer can terminate the program. The tax return will not be filed and tax return information cannot be retrieved/printed out if the program is terminated.
If the tax filer chooses to file a tax return despite a fee, credit card information must be provided.