Skip to main content

What to Bring?

Items you need to bring to the VITA site to have your tax returns prepared:

  • Picture ID for each tax filer

*Note: acceptable ID types:  valid driver’s license, employer ID, state-issued photo ID, military-issued photo ID, federal government photo ID, U.S. passport, visa,  school photo ID

  • Social Security card for everyone listed on your tax return (original, photo copy, or electronic), or a SS# verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration, or an SSA-1099 statement , or a Medicare card that includes the letter A after the SS#, or an SSA document showing only the last 4 digits of the SS#, or an IRS-issued ITIN card or letter.

*Note: Without the necessary social security documentation, an appointment will not be made until the document/card has been obtained.   

  • Form 1095-A if you purchased health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace

  • Birth dates for everyone listed on the tax return

  • All income statements: Forms W-2, 1099; Social Security, unemployment; other income statements such as pensions, stocks, interest; docs showing taxes withheld 

  • All records of expenses such as mortgage interest, tuition, real estate taxes

  • A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns if available

  • A voided or blank check to verify bank routing and account numbers for Direct Deposit

  • Total paid for day care provider and daycare provider’s name, address, employer 

  • Identification Number or SSN#

If any of the following apply to you, take documentation with you:

  • Adoption Expenses

  • Alimony paid or received

  • Any notices received from the IRS

  • Property Tax Bills

  • College Tuition and student loan interest statements (form 1098-T)

  • Additional forms of income such as: Prizes and awards, scholarships, lottery/gambling winnings.

  • If filing jointly, both filer and spouse must be present to sign.

It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card. If you do not have an SSN for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office.

If you or your dependent is not eligible to get a Social Security Number, you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

If you lost or do not have all of these items, you can still get your taxes prepared.
Call the IRS HelpLine at 1-800-829-1040 to find out what you need to do to obtain replacement documents.