A night out against crime, events planned throughout Erie County
(Erie, PA – July 21, 2014) Nearly 5,000 neighbors throughout Erie County will spend a little quality time with each other on Tuesday, August 4 thanks to United Way of Erie County. United Way’s support of National Night Out dates back to 1994 and since that time hundreds of thousands of dollars have been provided to organizations, neighborhood associations and watch groups. This year, eighteen collaborative groups have received funding from United Way to celebrate National Night Out.
National Night Out events, nationally sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch, aim to empower local neighborhoods, heighten the awareness of crime prevention and reinforce the spirit of community. Events, which will take place in the City of Erie and various sites located in Erie County will include free food, music and games, along with the opportunity to interact with local police and fire departments.
Events funded by United Way of Erie County seek to promote the spirit of community and encourage everyone to play a role in supporting the education of youth in our neighborhoods. Event highlights include gatherings at:
- Gridley Park organized by the Strong Vincent Neighborhood Watch, Eagle Neighborhood Watch, West Bayfront Neighborhood Watch, Garden Court Neighborhood Watch and West Side Saints.
- East Avenue/Hess Avenue Neighborhood Watch organized by Fr. Jerry Priscaro
- The Multicultural Community Resource Center organized by the Eastside Eagles
- The John F. Kennedy Center organized in partnership with the Urban Erie Community Development Center, House of Mercy and Target.
- Caflisch Park in Union City organized by Union City Borough and the Union City Family Support Center
Now in its thirty-second year, National Night Out is designed to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness, generate participation in local anti-crime efforts, and strengthen neighborhood spirit.
The introduction of National Night Out, “America’s Night Out Against Crime”, in 1984 began an effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships, neighborhood camaraderie and send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
The first National Night Out took place on Tuesday, August 7, 1984. That first year, 2.5 million Americans took part across 400 communities in 23 states. The seed had been planted.
National Night Out now involves more than 38 million people and 16,124 communities from all fifty states, U.S. Territories, Canadian cities, and military bases worldwide.
United Way of Erie County Funded NNO 2015 EVENT DETAILS:
Please note: All events are subject to change.
· Academy Neighborhood Association
5:00-8:30 PM | Baker Field, East 32nd/33rd Streets between French and Holland Streets
· Bayfront East Side Taskforce (BEST)
6:00-8:30 PM | Wallace Park
· Central City Neighborhood Watch
6:00-8:00 PM | 23rd and Holland Streets
· East Avenue/Hess Avenue Neighborhood Watch
5:00-8:30 PM | Perseus House School Parking Lot/St. Casimir's Church (at Lynn Street, Brandes Street & Hess Avenue)
· Eastside Eagles
5:00-8:00 PM | Multi-Cultural Community Resource Center (554 East 10th Street)
· Eastside Neighborhood Association
6:00-8:00 PM | 1602 Ash Street, Erie, PA
· Elk Creek Leisure and Recreation
6:00-10:30 PM | Lake Erie Community Park
· Greene Township
6:00-8:30 PM | Greene Township Municipal Building (9333 Tate Road)
· Housing Authority of the City of Erie
5:00-8:00 PM | Erie Heights Housing Development, 4030 Garden Avenue, 16508
· John F. Kennedy Center
5:00-8:00 PM | JFK Center (Building & Parking Lot, 2021 East 20th Street)
· Little Italy Neighborhood Watch
5:00-7:30 PM | St. Paul's Church Parking Lot, 19th & Myrtle Streets
· Neighborhood Watch #13, SNOOPS Association
5:30-8:30 PM | Friendship Park, 14th & Reed Streets
· Robbins Blass Neighborhood Watch
6:00-8:00 PM | Elmwood Presbyterian Church
5:00-8:00 PM | SafeNet's Big Backyard Children's Garden (240 East 9th Street)
· Union City
6:00-9:00 PM | Caflisch Park (at Bridge Street & Willow Street)
· Wattsburg Borough
6:00-9:00 PM | 9831 North Street, Wattsburg, PA
· Our West Bayfront
6:00-9:00 PM | Gridley Park
· Youth Leadership Institute of Erie
12:00-5:30 PM | 22nd & Reed Streets
United Way of Erie County focuses on funding events in high-need neighborhoods within Erie County. Don't see an event in your neighborhood listed below? National Night Out is a nationwide effort. Those interested in learning more should contact their local township or municipality office to inquire about events scheduled for National Night Out that may not be funded by United Way of Erie County. Complete details and event information can be found at http://www.unitedwayerie.org/nno